The magnificent Chapel sits at the heart of the College both spiritually and physically and plays an important part of life at Clifton and has done since it was first opened in 1867.
Topped by a striking copper-clad lantern and built from soft red and honey-coloured stone, the Chapel provides an oasis of calm in the busy daily life of the College, and forms a powerful link between past and present. It is a place where the College community come to mark milestones and celebrate successes, and for quiet contemplation or spiritual guidance.
Brass plates placed on the back of the staff stalls mark the names of all those who have carved out a reputation at the school. High on the walls are memorials of pupils of another age who died by accident or disease serving the British Empire. One bears the moving epitaph ‘A good life hath but few days but a good name endureth forever.’