Clifton College has a proud history in the sciences. When the College opened in 1862, it was distinct from other schools in that it gave equal weight to both scientific and religious study.
The first natural philosophy laboratory, designed by Charles Hansom, opened in 1867. By 1871, there were special classes in zoology, physiology and botany.
The Stone Library is situated on the ground floor of the Science School and contains more than 5,000 scientific books. Volumes date from the sixteenth century to the present day, including subscriptions to all of the main scientific periodicals and a first edition of Principia Mathematica by Isaac Newton (1687). The collection also features books recommended on reading lists for university applications.