The Redgrave Theatre, which was the first purpose-built school theatre in the country, is celebrating its 50th anniversary.
The theatre was opened by Old Cliftonian Sir Michael Redgrave CBE in 1966 and was renamed the Redgrave Theatre after his death in 1985. As a Clifton College student between 1922 and 1926, he was involved in school productions and had the first taste of the stage that became his career for more than 30 years.
Other Old Cliftonians who have performed at Clifton College before taking to the stage professionally include John Cleese, Simon Russell Beale CBE, Trevor Howard, Simon Shepherd as well as Clive and David Swift.
The 320-seat theatre hosts a range of College events throughout the year, including school plays and concerts, the annual College musical, and the Inter-House Play Festival.
Originally, the theatre was only used for College events, but in the 1970s the decision was made to also hire it out to local amateur dramatic groups and, later, to provide a venue for regional and national theatre groups.
The theatre’s excellent sight lines and acoustics, as well as state-of-the-art lighting and sound equipment, have made it an increasingly popular venue. It now hosts a range of professional touring companies, film societies, comedians, music concerts, and dance performances.
For more background on Sir Michael Redgrave and his relationship to the theatre, read our commemorative blog here.
To find out about upcoming productions visit the Redgrave Theatre website.